Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardtail fans form line here

Forum Member

Hardtail fans form line here

Howdy!Who else is a hardtail lovin' fool?

Forum Member
    The line looks short! ;-)/

Just teasing, your guitar will rip heads off.

TFF Stage Crew
    I'll jump in line and keep you guys company until somebody else shows up. :)

I do like hardtails though. Definately a different vibe than a tremolo strat, but a good one.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by GeetarGoul
    Just teasing, your guitar will rip heads off.

Your starting to sound like Scott.:)

Gazza I never got a chance to shoot Walters Strat
    Scott shipped it out the other day to him on tour. Dam it was a good guitar.

Scott would say it will tear the skin off your face! :lol2

Forum Member
    Ian I seen Walter Trout on Tuesday, its too bad he didnt have his guitar by then.

I cant wait to have the skin torn off my face.

My next strat is definetly gonna be a hardtail. I have a DIY project all thought up in my head, but no cash. I'm a nice guy, why do I have to pay for everthing all the time? :)
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Hardtail guy here.

Forum Member
    There was an 8" piece of metal hanging from my Strat's bridge and since I couldn't open a Heineken with it - I removed it .

He got it yesterday. Too bad. I am hoping to see him sometime soon, though not sure of any San Diego dates in the future.

Forum Member
    You have got to go see him, he puts on a good show.

Got one of each, but any future Strat purchase will be another hardtail.

:sp

Deneva

Forum Member
    My Strat is a hardtail, I wouln't have it any other way.

Forum Member
    Hardtail lover reporting for duty!

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I like my tremolo blocked, but still existent. The cavity and springs have a certain natural reverb that I like. The option of being able to use the tremolo if I desire really appeals to me as well. :)

Forum Member
    Just got a new one exactly like this except I have a little more grain showing through the blonde than this one does. It came Wednesday. Half-off from MF.

I pretty much hate Stratocasters, but you need one sometimes and my L-Series is too valuable to play, unfortunately...certainly far too risky to gig with.

Getting a nice new one that didn't have that *^%#%$#@!~ vibrato (technically it's not a tremolo) seemed like a decent compromise.

Forum Member
    I pretend like mine are hardtails, by having the floater hard against the body. Never actually played a hardtail strat. I do like being able to bang the body and hear the springs, or even pluck the springs, say for noises.

Is Ash better for hardtails? I guess for the snap, or does it matter?

Forum Member
    > Is Ash better for hardtails? I guess for the snap, or does it
    > matter?

I honestly don't know and I'm unconvinced anyone else really knows either, but it's prettier.

This sucker is extremely, piercingly bright.

Re: Hardtail fans form line here

I guess I'm sort of an in-betweener.

I don't use the trem arm at all. Never even screw it on. But I don't deck/block the bridge either. I play my strats as if they were hardtails but I prefer the sound and feel of the floating bridge. Go figure.

Sergio, talk about zombie threads, this is from 15 years ago... Let's start a new one!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Sergio, talk about zombie threads, this is from 15 years ago... Let's start a new one!
    Yeah, but you know, Sérgio is causing me to read threads I wouldn't have before. Some of them a dang interesting!

It would be nice to have some of those folks back, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I guess I'm sort of an in-betweener.

I don't use the trem arm at all. Never even screw it on. But I don't deck/block the bridge either. I play my strats as if they were hardtails but I prefer the sound and feel of the floating bridge. Go figure.
    E

I'm the same. I'll never have the skill to do what Jeff Beck does with it, so I'll just keep playing mine as if it's a hardtail.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sometimes I like to pull up some old threads because there is so much content in this forum... I myself find it more interesting to comment on an existing thread that has diferent opinions and let the discussion go forth, instead of just opening a new one and getting 1 or 2 replies...

I like this place so much that I like to go waaaaaaay back and read the old threads.

BUT if it actually bothers you guys i'll open new ones instead, no problem...

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Sometimes I like to pull up some old threads because there is so much content in this forum... I myself find it more interesting to comment on an existing thread that has diferent opinions and let the discussion go forth, instead of just opening a new one and getting 1 or 2 replies...

I like this place so much that I like to go waaaaaaay back and read the old threads.

BUT if it actually bothers you guys i'll open new ones instead, no problem...
    Full disclosure: I received a couple emails from members saying they're annoyed by it, but I see others posting in saying they don't mind it at all. There's definitely no rule about it, and I'm not bothered by it either way. We leave the old threads there as a source of info for anyone who stops by.

With that said, I would definitely prefer you start a new thread rather than post to a LONG dead one, only because after a few new posts, other people tend to miss that it's an old one and inevitably ask a question to someone who posted 10-15 years earlier, and then get frustrated when they don't get an answer from that specific person.

So... do whatever makes you happy, but probably the more sensible thing to do is to read old threads to your heart's content, and if you have a new question or thought about the topic, post a new thread instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    So... do whatever makes you happy, but probably the more sensible thing to do is to read old threads to your heart's content, and if you have a new question or thought about the topic, post a new thread instead.

No problem, will do!

Glad to know it's understood that I never did it to annoy anyone, not at all...

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yeah, but you know, Sérgio is causing me to read threads I wouldn't have before. Some of them a dang interesting!

It would be nice to have some of those folks back, IMO
    Yeap, that was the idea.

Hardtailer here!

Sustain? Yes please.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

This place is so quiet that waking up a few old threads is not a bad idea. There were a lot of great discussions here. Those who don't like it can ignore the threads.

I need to try a hardtail Strat sometime. I like my Strat's bridge to float just a little for some nice shimmering vibrato and have always found Strats to sound a bit less lively acoustically compared to most Teles, even when the bridge is snug to the body. Maybe it's the big chunk of metal. Maybe a hardtail Strat would be better in that regard.

Cool Strat, Franklin. How do the P90s sound in it?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This place is so quiet that waking up a few old threads is not a bad idea. There were a lot of great discussions here. Those who don't like it can ignore the threads.

Yes. That was precisely my point. As a matter of fact I was quite surprised when I read that some guys were emailing the moderation about it.

Oh dude, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about this. I just meant that we should try and start new posts. I get that there's a lot of information on here, and I probably feel different about these zombie threads because I was here when they were posted.

I know we're slow, trust me, I see that when I try to have a conversation or post something and the thread dies.

I don't care one way or another

I get the whole, "let sleeping threads lie" thing, but after spending so much time playing acoustic guitar and having (at long last!) picked up electric, I find some of these old threads fascinating, enlightening and filled with the "ghosts" of those who participated in them.

My education about things electric is still in first gear. Why, the thread about hardtail vs tremolo was informative just because the pictures allowed me to "get it."

A lot of the talk about tubes, speakers, wiring and DIY is way over my head. But I read them anyway, because who knows? I might learn something!

Interaction is very important, my friend. And reading what others have posted before can be quite helpful.

Well, like I said above, I'll follow pc's advice and stop posting in old threads. Instead, I'll keep reading them and uf I find something that can be of general interest, I'll open a new thread, say what I think and include a link to the old thread.

This way I think I'll get (and give) the best of both worlds.

I guess that's ok, right?

I'm not a moderator, but I think that's a better idea. Honestly, I usually skip past "zombie threads". But I'd jump into a new thread if it had a link to an old one. In the past, some people would dig up old posts and ask the OP a question... Not realizing that they had left the forum a long time ago. I probably should have put that info in my other reply, sorry.

So in my first reply, all I saw was you talking about how you play your Strat. I'm personally not interested in reading through the other posts about what everyone else is doing.

TFF Stage Crew

But I'd jump into a new thread if it had a link to an old one.
    Man, this is a genius idea, I didn't even think about that--starting a new thread about the topic but then embedding a link to the old thread that inspired it, by way of further reference. Great suggestion, Chuck!

Sergio mentioned it, he deserves the credit! I was just thinking that we're going to talk about the same things over and over, we are dealing with design and technology that was developed in the 50' and 60's. So yeah, we'll be talking about DC ohms of Single coils and the merits of different Strat bridges. But like I said, I don't want to read through 40 posts from 15 years ago by people who are not here anymore. Not that it lessens their experience, but I'm more interested in what's happening today.

Like how I've discovered I like top loaded Tele bridges, and while not a new concept, it's new to me. It's not something I ever considered trying if it weren't for the clones I built and me being lazy and in a rush to try them. I skipped drilling thru holes and countersinking for ferrules. Now, I'm going to search the archives and see what others have said about it, but I want to talk about my experience. The other information is reference material or anecdotal. Just like writing a paper for school

Sorry to derail the old vs new thread discussion....

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Cool Strat, Franklin. How do the P90s sound in it?
    It's a dark sounding guitar, but the P90s are awesome with it. The guitar howls, but there is no strat quack.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Sorry to derail the old vs new thread discussion....

It's a dark sounding guitar, but the P90s are awesome with it. The guitar howls, but there is no strat quack.
    I love Strat quack, but not every Strat needs to be quacky. It's cool to have a darker sounding Strat. I imagine it rocks pretty well.

I'm deciding whether I should build a Jazzmaster with Gibson style P90's or not... Scratching my head...

I'm deciding whether I should build a Jazzmaster with Gibson style P90's or not... Scratching my head...
    My first thought is YES! But then, I'm a huge fan of Elvis Costello, who rocks that fahkin' thang.

I already have a killer JM...