Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Photo-Web-O-Caster

Re: The Photo-Web-O-Caster

Damn you all!!!! :% Sorry, but the GAS is making me a bit cranky.

that is a thing of beauty - I love the Rosewood neck - I am partial - I really like my Rosewood neck on my Tele and Strat (almost identical HWY1's) The color combinations are very RIGHT!

fezz parka

Damn that's pretty.:yay And this is coming from the President of the GACAR Haters club. And what Spose said goes for me too, flip that plate man!:wav

Thanks guys.. But I'm not sure about flipping the plate. I have to think about that one... I can't access the pickup switch if I flip it and all the electronic components are sticking up... How do you keep from cutting your hand on the solder connections if you flip the plate???

:rofl
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

What do such things matter when we're talking about TONE????
    s'all goof.

Looks good Mark, enjoy!

:)

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Neck pickup question

Ok.here is a question. What direction does the neck pickup go?
    I've seen diagrams with the wires towards the neck, and some towards the bridge.

I ask because it has way too much bass and the treble strings are not as hot as I think they should be.

The problem is I can't reverse the pickup. The wire side won't go towards the neck because it hits the neck pickup cavity. I can only put it toward the bridge.

Any comments or ideas?
    Photoweborama

Re: Neck pickup question

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    Ok.here is a question. What direction does the neck pickup go?
    I've seen diagrams with the wires towards the neck, and some towards the bridge.

I ask because it has way too much bass and the treble strings are not as hot as I think they should be.

The problem is I can't reverse the pickup. The wire side won't go towards the neck because it hits the neck pickup cavity. I can only put it toward the bridge.

Any comments or ideas?
    Sounds like a Tele neck pickup to me! Have you tried angling the pickup using the adjustment screws? That might not be enough of an adjustment, though.

The bottom part of the bobbin where the wires attach should definitely point toward the bridge. It wouldn't matter if you turned the pickup around 180 degrees anyway, that part is symmetrical and it would still pick up less treble and more bass.

In my limited experience, part of the character of a Tele neck pickup is precisely the way the cover reduces some of the highs. I took the cover off mine for a long time, and it did increase the highs somewhat. I switched to another covered pickup, but basically didn't like that neck pickup much either. Over the course of years I had a progression of different neck pickups - a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus, then a Burstbucker and now a P-90. (I even have a coverless '57 Classic waiting in the wings!)

One thing I also did, and still do, was do the `inifinity tone control' mod that removes the tone pot from the circuit when the pot is at 10. That involves disassembling the tone pot and scraping off the carbon track where the wiper hits '10'. That mod counteracts some of the treble loss but also makes the bridge pickup brighter too. But at least then you just turn down to '9' and the tone control is back. It's a balancing act... Similarly if both pickups are too dark, a higher value volume pot might help with that, as others have discussed.

Good luck!

Ok.. So, it is going the right direction and the heavy bass is just a characteristic of Tele neck pickups. I don't remember my AmSer Tele having that much bass, thought that might be why some people don't think the current Teles sound like Teles... :)

I changed to a .010 cap, but I'm not sure if I like it. It really does not seem to alter the bass that much, but the highs sound too tinny... I think I'm going to put the .022 back in.

At least its really easy on a Tele.
    Photoweborama

Well, aside from wiring snafus, I dunno, maybe the contrast between the neck and bridge is pretty strong in those MIJ reissue pickups.

Hmm, contrast - let's look at it from the other direction for a second. Can you get a neck tone you like by adjusting the amp, or is it always too bassy?

I'm Ok with it. I can get decent amp tone if I turn down the bass, but in my amp modelers, it seems to really over drive the bass side. I think the signal is literally really hot on the bass side.

I can live with it if that’s the way it is supposed to be on a "real" tele.
    Photoweborama

Well, I can only report my meager personal experience - it'd probably be worth it to check the wiring, pickup height and see what the more experienced es will say. :)