Thread: New Tele setup & mods suggestions?

New Tele setup & mods suggestions?

I have a two month old mim tele that is a keeper. I need to take it in for a better setup since it was a MF's mailorder. What are some immediate mod's to consider now or for the future? I am just a startin out bedroom musician.
    Seems I heard that there is a wiring modification. What's that about too? I think a new nut is a must on a mim? (I had a new nut put on my epi dot that made a huge difference).

thanks,
    mark

Re: New Tele setup & mods suggestions?

Forget taking it in. Go to Mr. Gearhead, follow the instructions and save yourself a trip. You won't hurt anything, and if you can't get it right, THEN take it in.

Pretty easy.

Set the relief - 5 minutes
    Set the string height - 5 minutes
    Set the pickup height - 5 minutes
    Set the intonation - 5 minutes

Hint, a .010 string works perfect for a feeler guage. Besides, after doing it a couple times you'll be able to eyeball the releif.

Viola! That nut should be fine, too. If my memory serves, the MIMs don't use the soft nylon looking jobs the Epi's do.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

Congratulations on the tele! A setup would be a good thing. The factory setups aren’t always that great. Maybe play it a while with the stock electronics. Get used to the guitar. Then mod it to your taste later on.

Forum Member

Please explain how you use a string for a feeler gauge? And also what other tools you need if possible. Thanks!

Everything you need is right here.

http://www.mrgearhead.com/

Did you get the allen wrenches with the guitar? If not, you can buy them for a couple of bucks at the hardware store.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

Some good easy to follow info on that site OA.

okay, thanks for the mrgearhead link. i will probably see what i can do. i need to learn anyway.