Thread: locking tuners vs non

Forum Member

locking tuners vs non

I have 2 guitars to replace tuners on, 1 mex '90s strat , and an old ES 335...I don't care about the ease of changing strings (i.e.locking tuners), just want to know which tuners keeps the string held in tune the best . I'm considering Grover non-locking, and Sperzel locking tuners-any opinions on which works best regarding tuning, been getting conflicting opinions with my collegues.

Re: locking tuners vs non

Given a choice of all of the tuners out there, for an electric, I'd pick slot head Klusons for six-on-a-side electrics, and Waverlies for acoustics.

Of the others out there I've used:

3 on a side Schallers have the best feel, but are very heavy. The Fender/Schallers, as found on current FMIC product, I feel are below the Grovers.

3 on a side Grovers are less nice than the Schallers , but might be a bit less heavy as well. I like the mini-Grovers better than the Fender Schallers.

I thought the Sperzels I had felt gritty, and sometimes would cut strings when you tightened them down. Of all the choices above, I'd put them on the bottom.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Locking tuners are good for three things.

1) People who have trems with roller nuts.

2) People who don't know how to properly install a new set of strings.

3) People who like that added sustain induced by using heavier tuners.

I'm with Kap'n on this one.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I think there are more than only 3 reasons....

4) People who want faster string changes.

5) People who may want to experiment tonally by using tuners with different weights. On guitars with the modern 10mm (or 25/64") tuner hole routing, contrary to popular belief, locking Sperzels are lighter than most of the popular choices:

Schaller M6s 3+3
    10.0 oz 280g

Grovers 9.8 oz 275g

Sperzel 3+3 7.4 oz 210g

Sperzel inline 7.0 oz 200g

Klusons nonlocking 5.6 oz 160g

6) People who feel that brand X is better than brand Y. Personal preference. 'Nuff said. FWIW, I find the Sperzels to be far and away the best of the 'modern' tuners but, again, it's a personal preference. YMMV.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't have a neck with the vintage tuner hole routed to accept Sperzels (I use the exact retrofit Gotoh mfg'd 'locking vintage' tuners instead) but I've no qualm with anyone who would or does just that.

Locking tuners are just another tool for us (or some of us anyway) to use in service of the quest for blah blah blah...
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

Hi!

Used Schallers on a79 Strat. Perfect neck-balance with the heavy body.

Tried to use them on a project strat with a lightweight 60 MIM
    classic body, but the sperzels ,in this case did the better job, because of better neck-balance "feeling" with the lightweigt tuners. Hard to believe but 3 oz seem to make a difference hanging at the end of the neck...

but the schallers are the more solid construction with better gear ratio and handling...

Now.... consider the weight of your guitar

I like the Sperzels for Strats. Locking (fast and never had one cut a string myself), smooth imo, staggered height, stable... YYMV of course.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Love them for the fast string changes and the added mass.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

One thing no one has addressed is the fact that I can use my whammy all night long and the sucker stays in tune better than non locking most of the time I have a set of gold lockers on a MIJ Custom shop and I am thinking about installing another set in my MIM classic 50's rocker (souped up) Methinks a nice MOTO white pickguard to finish it off

Forum Member

I've got the locking tuners on a Strat Plus, and I swear by them. Between the Am Standard trem, the roller nut, and the locking tuners, the guitar stays in tune better than any other trem-system equipped guitar I've ever played...and it's always fun to throw a couple trem-slaps in when a regular strat player is around...they always get that look...

As a side note, my singer uses the locking tuners on his Tele because he literally plays so hard they're the only things holding the strings on the neck...

I had locking tuners on a Stra Plus and they stayed in tune great.

Now I have 47 year old Klusons on a '57 Strat and, although they're wiggly when there's not a string in them, the guitar stays in tune great even when I use the tremolo.

Klusons rule! If ya know how to wrap 'em they have no stability issues whatsoever. I like them because they're light allow a woodier tone from my guitars. It's just a preference.

Formerly joe mama

Klusons do rule. They are as simple as you can get. I had Sperzels before, still have one guitar with 'em. String changes are just as quick on Klusons. And the tone is better.

They stay in tune great with a trem. Better than what's on the American Standards.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mama
    Klusons do rule. They are as simple as you can get. I had Sperzels before, still have one guitar with 'em. String changes are just as quick on Klusons. And the tone is better.

They stay in tune great with a trem. Better than what's on the American Standards.
    Yep, you've just got to cut and wrap right. Cut the E to the D tuner post, A to the B tuner, etc, and do a consistant downward wrap.
    orange picks

I use one single wrap around the post for my E,A,D,G strings. And for the B and E strings, I go in the hole, across the slot, around the back of the post and through the slot again. Then one to two wraps around the post.

Speedy string changes don't concern me. If I break a string during a gig, I simply reach for my back-up guitar on the stand behind me. If speed is an issue, changing guitars wins every time!

There is no "better" tuner for tone, you guys should be able to admit that...

So what would you say to locking Klusons?

Different tone? They're the same weight and have the same 'footprint' as the regular old 'slotted' Gotoh mfg'd Klusons that seem to be the dominant flavor in this neck of the woods.

Unnecessary? Perhaps to some, but some of us don't want to pre-cut strings in order to facilitate string changes--that's unnecessary, IMO. Heck, with locking tuners I don't need to cut the string end off at all (although I will).
    No need to worry about tuner wrapping when your're at pitch in less than one complete revolution.

Obviously, I'm playing devil's advocate here and use what you like but don't assume or imply that all usage of locking tuners is necessarily frivolous.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker
    So what would you say to locking Klusons?
    I still like the originals. They're what I grew up with.

Unfortunately, I don't have them on either of my electrics.

Guess I do need that tele after all.
    orange picks

I was unaware of the "locking Klusons". I certainly have no objection to that as long as they don't weigh any more than the non locking version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    And for the B and E strings, I go in the hole, across the slot, around the back of the post and through the slot again. Then one to two wraps around the post.
    I'll have to try that. I always put an extra wrap on the B and high E so they don't pull out of the hole as I tune up.

Forum Member

I avoid locking tunners like the plauge. (imo) They have always "sucked" the "shimmering" clean tones that I like to get off a clean Fender strat or tele. They do however help to keep problematic guitars in tune and are usefull if as a last resort.