Thread: 4 Questions about Different Wiring Schematics

4 Questions about Different Wiring Schematics

I just bought a couple of Seymour Duncan PHAT CATS to drop into the LP knock-off I found in the trash and am resurrecting.

I've got three sets of schematics....two for Gibson style humbuckers and the other that came with the CATS.

The one that came with the CAT shows the CAP hooked between the tone and volume pot and grounded.

The other two for Gibson Humbuckers which I got with the pots and caps I ordered over the net shows the cap hooked only to the tone pot and grounded to that same tone pot.

Naturally the whole system would be grounded to the bridge when I assemble it.....BUT
    1. Why are they different??...AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...
    2. Which set-up should I use??
    3. Is one better than the other??
    4. Are Humbuckers wired differently than these P90 PHAT CATS??

fezz parka

Re: 4 Questions about Different Wiring Schematics

Two words: 50's wiring. This is the way a LP (or two humbucking) type guitar should be wired:

Last edited by fezz parka; 10-05-2004 at 03:20 PM.

fenderboy,

theoretically they all work out to be the same, the difference lies in where you are putting the cap in the curcuit. i've tried a bunch of different ways, and they all sounded the same to me. some claim to hear a difference from where you place it.

to me though, it seems like saying you can hear the difference between stainless steel pickguard screws and something else.

fezz's suggestionay about the 50's wiring is a good idea. i did it on my dearmond cause i only ever use both on. but i do roll back the neck pup to get different sounds.

but if you're from the ace frehley school of guitar playing you won't want to do this cause you won't get that intermittent cut out when you turn the neck pup off and toggle between the bridge and combo posish. :hee

personally, i rewire my four knob geetars to be like a tele, master volume and master tone, three way switch. it's just me, and what i do.

one more thing i would reccomend is to use quality caps, pots, and wire. it will really only cost about 10 bucks more. but it's worth it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    fezz's suggestion about the 50's wiring is a good idea. i did it on my dearmond cause i only ever use both on. but i do roll back the neck pup to get different sounds.
    This is where the tonal magic of the LP style guitar happens. Middle position, using the volume knobs to dial in the p'ups...

Why is it on so many 4-knobbers that one volume becomes dominant in the middle position? When you back down one volume too far, the signal cuuts out completely.
    I had a Samick w/a non-traditional toggle which didn't do this. It was great. Dial in some bridge chime to add to the neck p'up & vice versa.
    (I've found this on Gretsches too, but they're wired "uniquely.")

Can a regular 4-knob w/3-way toggle be wired to acheive this?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

[QUOTE=NeoFauve]Why is it on so many 4-knobbers that one volume becomes dominant in the middle position? When you back down one volume too far, the signal cuuts out completely./QUOTE]

Yeah!!! And why have four knobs if not one of them gives a real blend? I'm, mot critiquing. just asking

fezz parka

Read this...LP Stuff

Old Tele man

many, many people get "caught" by the "backwards" GIBSON 2-vol/2-tone arrangement...which is caused by the "interaction" of the TWO volume controls because they're wired in parallel, so affect each other...