Thread: MIM Tele vs. American Series

Forum Member

MIM Tele vs. American Series

I haven't had time yet to audition these myself, but I was curious if any of you out there have any thoughts on this: how does the Mexican made standard telecaster compare with the American series one? They seem pretty even, judging by reviews I have read on Harmony Central, but there is about a $450 price difference. Worth it?

Thanks in advance, as I am seriously considering a purchase.

Forum Member
    For the money the MIM stuff is not bad, it's not great either. Many owners replace the pickups and control pots.
    If you are on a tight budget or are starting out these are worth consideration. The MIJ Fender guitars are another story and in some cases are as good or better than the US product.
    The MIJ 50s Teles and Strats are nice instruments with fairly accurate vintage appointments.

When I decided to get a Tele, I demoed the MIM Standard, MIM Classic 50s and the Amerian Series. I liked the MIM Standard best, although I did end up putting in TX Special pups and a four way switch. I didn't like the neck on the American at all. YMMV
    Rockin' in the free world . . .

Muddy Waters " ALIVE "

Guys??? Check out the Muddy Waters Tele. Dont miss this one. It's a joy and best bang for the $$$$.

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL137/...5/12419409.jpg
    Power is Nothing without CONTROL !!!

Forum Member
    The MIM Teles are a bargain. Don't expect to get a great guitar, but if you want something cheap and serviceable, it's a good way to go. I picked one up on Ebay for 200 bucks, in like new condition, to be a dedicated guitar for slide. It's served me well for about a year now. I eventually got into the "fix it up" thing and changed pickups, the bridge, shielded the cavity, and so on. But I mainly did the upgrades for the fun of it and the chance to learn something.

So, to answer your question, I think the American Teles are a little better, and probably worth the extra money. Better wood, better hardware, better pups. The MIM Teles make great beater guitars; cheap and very serviceable.

JohnK

MIM's are great...don't be fooled

The price doesn't mean they are inferior. I've got a new 2002 MIM Standard, the body is now alder. Lighter than the former poplar ones. The finish and quality is excellent. Mine was setup by Larry at Music One Workshop. The pots and switch are the same model numbers as those in the MIM 50s/60s Classic models and MIA 52RI model (go figure, cheap parts ?).

I did have the pups changed out (Nocaster Bridge and Texas Special Neck).

I love this guitar, plays like a dream and sounds stellar.

YMMV,

JK

The newest MIM STDS are great guitars.

They do have the cheaper ping hardware but $30 for new tuners and $12 for a new bridge can fix that. Everyone always changes pickups.

The American STD Teles arent even a Tele in my opinion.

Forum Member
    "The American STD Teles arent even a Tele in my opinion."

Marcondo, could you explain why not? Please note, I am not being confrontational, but I am still very new to the Fender world. Hopefully, tonight or tomorrow night, I'll hit a store or two and try these Teles out.

Thank-you.

P.S. Is there just one MIM Tele, or could you recommend some various models for me to try. If it helps, one of the things I want to use it for, are some the late Beatles stuff (White Album - Let It Be). I had read that Harrison used a Tele during the rooftop concert and for some of the Let It Be album, and McCartney used one on some White Album stuff (e.g. Helter Skelter).

I love my american series fat tele and even loved my american standard tele but had to sell it due to my finances. it really depends on what you are lookin for. I definitely consider an american series/standard tele a real tele, i know may purists don't share that opinion
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    American Standard Tele's are not real Tele's? I've owned 2 different 52RI's and a nice 91 MIJ 60's and my AMS is a much better and solid guitar. My father has a real 52 and he likes my AMS better. It seems to sound and feel like a Tele should.

Originally posted by NewMember
    "The American STD Teles arent even a Tele in my opinion."

Marcondo, could you explain why not? Please note, I am not being confrontational, but I am still very new to the Fender world. Hopefully, tonight or tomorrow night, I'll hit a store or two and try these Teles out.

Thank-you.

P.S. Is there just one MIM Tele, or could you recommend some various models for me to try. If it helps, one of the things I want to use it for, are some the late Beatles stuff (White Album - Let It Be). I had read that Harrison used a Tele during the rooftop concert and for some of the Let It Be album, and McCartney used one on some White Album stuff (e.g. Helter Skelter).
    George Harrison used a rosewood Tele on that rooftop concert for Let it Be.

The reason I dont like the AM STD's are is the 6 saddle bridge and all the non standard Tele mounting holes. If you want to upgrade an AMSTD to a better bridge (like a Vintique) you have to drill holes for a good bridge to work right. On the ones with the Vintage bridge design the 50's Classic MIM the 60's Classic MIM 52ri USA the MW Tele and the MIM STD Tele all use standard mounting holes so any Vintage bridge will fit.

My choice of the best Teles for the best price would be a 50's Classic a 60's Classic a new MIM STD or a Muddy Waters Tele any of these 4 models will give you a great twangy Tele.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 09-05-2002 at 05:08 PM.

Forum Member
    Can you actually put a vintage styled bridge on a MIM standard without drilling then?? That was shyin' me away from those and lookin at the others. Guess I'll rethink it.

check out the MW

tele great guitar for the money... you can go wrong its got the hardware and the pups to boot... go give one a spin i think you will be verry pleased there great sounding instruments.

HTH

del
    Last edited by melody; 09-14-2002 at 05:04 PM.

Originally posted by tanawana
    Can you actually put a vintage styled bridge on a MIM standard without drilling then?? That was shyin' me away from those and lookin at the others. Guess I'll rethink it.
    Yes on the New models the stock 6 saddle can be replaced by a 3 saddle vintage bridge no drilling a direct bolton.

My friend got a new Blue Agave which is a killer color somewhat inbetween Lake Placid Blue and Ice Blue Metallac I think he swapped the bridges and he put a Nocaster bridge and TX Special neck pup made a nice Tele for not alot of $$.

The American Tele bridge bothers me too

I've got an American Standard Tele that I bought new in 1996.
    I love it and I like it better than an MIM Tele, but the Bridge has always bothered me.
    It works fine, but the baseplate is plated brass. The tone would be much better with a steel baseplate, but it's expensive to replace.
    BTW, both Vintique and John Mann ( www.mannmadeusa.com ) make replacement bridges that fit the AmStd and AmSe Teles.
    The Vintique is vintage style with3 brass saddles.
    The MannMade is a modern 6 saddle design, but is made of steel.

I agree that the MIM Tele is probably the instrument most close to the original Tele concept of being cheap, tough and sounding great.
    Last edited by Don; 09-15-2002 at 01:28 PM.

I've been thinking of getting a 52 ri but now that I've checked out the specs on the mw I'm considering one of those, it's got all the right stuff I just wish the darn thing wasn't red. I would jump on a mim 50's if it came in butterscotch.