Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIJ (Made in Japan) versus CIJ - what's the diff?

Re: MIJ (Made in Japan) versus CIJ - what's the diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefreak
    Frinky, I understood completely what you said and he said. Nothing was aimed at you. Not by me, anyway ;) In fact, my response was far more general in scope and had nothing to do with you or what you said. Arrogant, you said? :)
    Nah, it's ok, I was talking about the other guy.

But really, is it actually prevalent here? Tis a very different mentality here to the LPF, say, where they seem to want to attain only one thing in thier guitars, whereas here I see the general concencus is that there's no such thing as a perfect guitar, or even a perfect Tele, etc. Hence the reason why I ask for advice here and not in other places...

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Thanks, Frinky! And the Fezz breaks me up ...he's got the best emoticons and pics for the sillest stuff, it great!! :)

Yeah, I think forums are a little like that ( I own one, ergo it's the best) because musicians are egotistical in their make-up, and so we never want to believe that we choose wrongly or poorly or ANYTHING but the finest. I purposely try and recommend everything I'm jealous of and don't own first! :) That way I fool myself into thinking I'm not in the aforementioned category. Everyone here is really proud of their "stuff" you'll find. Guys will post pics of VERY average guitars, and we'll all OOOHHH and AHHHH about the .....get this...color of the instrument!! ( I'm no better, have done it myself)

Fezz is the diplomat. He knows good from bad. Diamonds from Dung, Lousy sound vs good. His irritating qualtiy is that he will smile at some guy that's purchased a piece of crap amp or guitar and say " Well, if it makes you happy!! " My weakness is that I'll say, " Why'd you spend $$ on that...?? "

Then he'll sort of look over at me, and say..." Try some emoticons :) , and be diplomatic..;)...but yeah...you're right....I hate that amp myself!"

At my age, I'm allowed commentary. The guys that get the OOOH's and Ahhh's are the ones who spout stats, give out numbers, resistor values, and tranny specs. I tried it once...gave a guy really good advice with numbers and everything, right down to millimeters. Fezz says "Great Post!" I just laughed at that one, cause while the info I gave was pretty good, the guitar we were trying to fix was and is JUNK! Better advice would have been to tell the guy to throw it under the first Semi Trailer that went past him. I'd have gotten blasted for that comment, but it would have been GREAT advice !!! Better by far than the wasted techy stuff I gave.

I'm entertained by these forums. The people here are great, but ask the same stuff over and over again. Oh well, I remember when the kids were young, they did the same thing! :)

TFF Stage Crew

At my age, I'm allowed commentary... The people here are great, but ask the same stuff over and over again. Oh well, I remember when the kids were young, they did the same thing! :)
    There's commentary, and there's condescension. You're allowed as much of either as you want to allow yourself. Not everyone will agree about your choice of ratio, though.

I'm entertained by these forums.
    Well, if it makes you happy! :yay

Oh, and if I haven't said so already...

Great post!

:rolleyes:

LOL Jack! Naw...no great posts have happened here for a while, but the last one of mine and yours combined was far better than a pic of a Lake Placid Blue Tele that someone routed to install boat anchor PU's into...YAWWWWWWNNN!

Is that condescention, or have I been hanging around guitars and players too long? :)

TFF Stage Crew

Is that condescention, or have I been hanging around guitars and players too long? :)
    It's actually both. They've somehow intertwined themselves in your online persona.

To me, you're like the guys who work in the record store in "High Fidelity." You have this wealth of knowledge and a lot of experience watching people do things that pointlessly contravene that knowledge, so often times your delivery of this information is, well, sharp.

But see, in this way I've grown to really enjoy your posts, because in my mind's eye you're an older version of Jack Black typing furiously at your computer keyboard to bring your worldview of Tone to us. That makes me chuckle every time. I also wish I knew half of what you & Fezz know about amp electronics.

With great enjoyment,
    Jack w/his tube-driven, non-noiseless radar

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

like the guys who work in the record store in "High Fidelity."
    :hee
    I worked in/ managed record stores for years and you just can't help but become like those guys after a while!

I once saw a 12 year old kid (in 1986) attempt to buy a Madonna cassette, my co-worker talked him into buying Led Zeppelin IV instead.!! :rofl
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Well, Jack...your radar isn't all bad! I worked as a buyer of musical instruments for a chain of music stores years ago, but this involved guitars and amps, and not records :) Most of those years I spent as a guitar tech. and really enjoyed meeting a diversity of people through that end of it. I mean ...adjusting a strat brdige or neck is boring, but WOW! What interesting people come in with that guitar! I'm a fairly new guy to chats, so I'm maybe a little brittle in my delivery, and although I am resonably articulate, I do not "type furiously..." , as my typing skills are lousy! But yeah, you're right...that's why my comments are sometimes a little "sharp". I'm trying to soften up! ;)

Put on your radar, and imagine some goofball coming into my shop with a piece of shit guitar, that he thinks the world of for some gawd forsaken reason, and wants miracles worked for cheap...and see that day after day. That's why I'm a little blunt. I have a passion for fine instuments and a loathing of bad ones, and even a worse loathing for mediocrity claiming excellence.

Your radar, if it's working well, will also tell you that through seeing so many thousands of Fender guitars through the years, some of that passion and certainly some of the loathing doesn't come as " opnion only". It comes from a tiny bit of experience! :) That may be the essential difference between me and the record store geek!

Condescending? Jack , in my last few years working on guitars, you should have heard me when a guy came in with a decent Strat that he wanted me to put a Kahler on..." This is a perfectly fine guitar...why'd you do that to this fine girl? Get an Ibanez...bring it in, and we'll play butcher till you can't stand it anymore...but THIS? You want me to put that piece of shit on THIS?? LOLOL!!! ( The truth is the Ibanez was a better platform for the Kahler system than a Strat.. I wan't knocking Ibanez) Then, as some here would say... But that's YOU'RE opinion. If he want's to butcher a nice Strat, that's not your call. Right again. So I'd charge him double to do it.

tax free...cash $4 a lot of times. Hey...I'm working against principles!! :)

With part of the Tax free $$ portion of this nonsense, I bought guitars. Among them I have a nice old '55 Tele that I bought most recently. I should be grateful in the end for Kahler's going onto decent Strats back in the late 70's, early 80's., shouldn't I ? ;)

Anyway, this is fun...ain't it? We get to talk guitars, and badger each other just a little. Almost like being in the shop again!

fezz parka

Well, if you're gonna drag me into this, here goes:

Fezz is the diplomat. He knows good from bad. Diamonds from Dung, Lousy sound vs good. His irritating qualtiy is that he will smile at some guy that's purchased a piece of crap amp or guitar and say " Well, if it makes you happy!! " My weakness is that I'll say, " Why'd you spend $$ on that...?? "

Then he'll sort of look over at me, and say..." Try some emoticons :) , and be diplomatic..;)...but yeah...you're right....I hate that amp myself!"
    I dunno, I don't go out of my way to make people feel shitty about themselves or their choices. Read my tagline.

The guys that get the OOOH's and Ahhh's are the ones who spout stats, give out numbers, resistor values, and tranny specs. I tried it once...gave a guy really good advice with numbers and everything, right down to millimeters. Fezz says "Great Post!" I just laughed at that one, cause while the info I gave was pretty good, the guitar we were trying to fix was and is JUNK!

It was a good post because for once, you actually gave some informative, useful advice. You backed it up with facts, instead of the usual stuff you write. So yeah it was a great post.:yay

At my age, I'm allowed commentary.
    Here we go with the age thing again, Are you sure you don't play the violin?:hee

Age doesn't give you carte blanche to belittle people. You can either be the mellow old dude that lets people learn as they go, gently guiding them along, or the old rat bastard that craps on everything they do. The majority of your posts are the latter.

But as you said above, this forum is "entertainment" for you. So for now, enjoy the show.
    Last edited by fezz parka; 09-27-2004 at 12:54 PM.

"I dunno, I don't go out of my way to make people feel shitty about themselves or their choices. Read my tagline."

I don't go out of my way either. I'm not going to hand out platitudes. Neither should you becasue you know better a lot of times, and there's folks here who listen to you and are expecting sound advice and guidance. Your experience is valuable to some. It should be valuable to you. There's guys here just waiting for you to say, " leave that piece of shit in the store, buddy..." THAT"S got value. Not..." Well, if it's colored real pretty, and sounds good to YOU, then it's cool! That's a nice, diplomatic, pat answer that makes you look warm and fuzzy and all that...but tehre are some ( not all...becuase some just want to be stroked) but SOME...maybe a LOT want the FEZZ to just come clean on right and wrong, shitty and good...

And Fezz, really...there IS such a thing. And you know it:)

"It was a good post because for once, you actually gave some informative, useful advice. You backed it up with facts, instead of the usual stuff you write. So yeah it was a great post."

Yep, and thanks, I guess. But it was in reality NO MORE useful advice than anything else. It just had numbers. It had the same expereince behind it, the same passion, the same knowledge as what you denounce as useless posts. People are looking for a single dimensional view, that of numbers and angles,stats and specs...giving those out makes me a better advisor or better person?

The truth is that you and I and others here could absolutely lay waste to numbers all day long and impress each other ( maybe). Or we could be blunt and say..." Let me answer that question this way..." and try another approach. It doesn't mean we don't care about others. It means we might care enough to shortcut a question or provide the best answer we can, based on our best experience. I'm not understanding how you can't see that as being valid, Fezz. A diiffering style, yes...but then you are denouncing me and my experience and education just like you think I'm doing...it's not fair of you...and you're usually fair :)

"Here we go with the age thing again, Are you sure you don't play the violin? "

I know that's a shot, but the violin is something I wish I could play. It's an honorable instrument. It's doesn't have frets :) I'm stuck with fretted instruments that don't require bowing techniques or resin to create sounds. I've worked a little on some violins, and they are wonderful instruments. They're just over my head. A strat is much easier!! I'm likely about 2 or 3 years older than you are, and that's just a guess by how you write.

"Age doesn't give you carte blanche to belittle people. You can either be the mellow old dude that lets people learn as they go, gently guiding them along, or the old rat bastard that craps on everything they do. The majority of your posts are the latter."

You've purposely ignored the many times I've complimented folks for ingenuity, good taste, fine instruments, good selections, great humor...wonderful playing even!! And that included YOU on a number of occasions. And to say most times it's the latter isn't quite fair either, and that's not like you.

I can tell Jack that the teal blue color of the Tele he's got pictured there is really cool! ( I actually really do think it's nice:)) , but I don't believe that's what he wants from me, or maybe even you.

And yes, this is entertaining. You know what I think, Fezz and Jack? I think everyone here is truly sincere. I think a good many of us here could meet for a beer and say, " Wow, is he ever a nice guy in person, and knows his shit!! " And I'll say another thing. I can learn from each and every person here. There's some awesome knowledge here, and I'm amazed at the diversity of specialties represented. Good on everyone here! Please don't throw me on the "idiot" pile just because of a blunt style. It would firstly be unfair, and secondly wrong. ;)

Thanks, guys!

fezz parka

Well you had to go and drag me into this! See post #45.;)

TF, to be honest, I actually enjoy alot of your posts, but there have been times that your "style" has been too "blunt" and as noted above, quite condescending. I have seen numerous posts that were simply meant to drop a line and see if there were any bites, you know, trolling. (Read any cyber twin thread. I mean any.) I think this is bad for the boards, because as was said in one of the Cyber-Twin threads by a well known :
    "Regardless of what a person plays through, if we scare them off, we all lose."
    And that was right on.

LOL :) Yeah, but how can an old fiddle player be that scary?

And what has all this auld guff got to do with MIJ/CIJ geetars ?

I have a monster of a MIJ 'Contemporary' or 'HM' Tele from '88 ( I think ) which is a great geetar, if a little untraditional ( Kahler Trem unit & all ) I also just bought a CIJ '62 Custom reissue, which is very beautiful.
    But my CIJ Pink Paisley from a couple of years back is just the rockinist geetar around - and with an ashtray cover on it it just looks the dogs bollocks.
    I met a Devil Woman, she took my heart away
    She said I had it comin', But I wanted it that way

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayo
    Exactly

Watto
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

"Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made."

That being the case, and why should I doubt it...what an idiot I am yet again. Here I am stuck with these stupid old Fender black faced amps from the 60's ...and a handful of tube boutiques. I simply must have a garage sale, and get with the times!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayo

I have a monster of a MIJ 'Contemporary' or 'HM' Tele from '88 ( I think ) which is a great geetar, if a little untraditional ( Kahler Trem unit & all ) I also just bought a CIJ '62 Custom reissue, which is very beautiful.
    But my CIJ Pink Paisley from a couple of years back is just the rockinist geetar around - and with an ashtray cover on it it just looks the dogs bollocks.
    Absolutely nothing Dayo. But the thread sort of got more interesting as we went along. MIJ's/CIJ's?? No debate neccesary. They're great guitars, that's what I use live. The vintage stuff now stays at home, that' s how good the CIJ's or MIJ's ( have both ) are. I doubt you're interested in what models or what pretty colors...

Forum Member

"Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made."

That being the case, and why should I doubt it...what an idiot I am yet again. Here I am stuck with these stupid old Fender black faced amps from the 60's ...and a handful of tube boutiques. I simply must have a garage sale, and get with the times!
    A comment from someone who A: odviously hasn't heard one and :B is trolling again,looking for a bite.

It would be nice to read a thread on MIJ guitars and not have someone try to steer it off the track with their own ignorant comments,

I personally like MIJ and CIJ guitars (own both ) and was interested in the comments on that,not what you went on about.

TF it's better to be silent and have people think you're an idiot ,than to open your mouth and prove it

'nuff said

Watto
    Last edited by Watto; 10-07-2004 at 01:53 AM.
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

Forum Member

Before this thread got "hi-jacked" I would pose the question: if CIJ are good quality-wise compared to higher priced MIA models (say the "vintage line"), how do they compare with the MIM Classic line - that are nearly at the same price-point. In the USofA anyway.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    ... is trolling again,looking for a bite.

TF it's better to be silent ...

Aggie, MIJ/CIJ guitars are great values. Change the pots and switch, and you've got a great guitar that will last a lifetime...:yay

Aggie-
    I've had a couple of each. (mim/mij)
    They're both good values.
    I like the chunkier necks on the MIM 50's/60's Classics. I really dug the playability and the sound of the bridge p'up on my 60's Classic.
    But the MIJ's, in my exp, are lighter and more acoustically resonant. The poly finish is nice and thin too, which may contribute to the sound, but for me, mainly makes for a nice feel on the neck.
    Feez is right about the pots.

It's harder to find a MIJ to try out. They cost a little more than MIM's, which are pretty plentiful, at least around here.
    It's sort of a toss up, I think.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I have 4 strats (now)
    2 CIJ
    1 MIM
    1MIA 2004 Limited Edition

The CIJ are very very very excellent quality almost custom shop made but ethy are extremely limited editions only up to 500 made each

The MIM is a great guitar for the value and still pretty good for the $$

The MIA is not broken in yet and plays stiff but the CIJ all sound better

Absolutely nothing Dayo. But the thread sort of got more interesting as we went along. MIJ's/CIJ's?? No debate neccesary. They're great guitars, that's what I use live. The vintage stuff now stays at home, that' s how good the CIJ's or MIJ's ( have both ) are. I doubt you're interested in what models or what pretty colors...
    Watto:

You missed this post! And a favorable one concerning MIJ's/CIJ's it was!

On the topic of Reynolds Valve Art amps, it's true. If they're the best amps in the world, certainly I've missed the boat somewhere...