Thread: Neck Fix?

Neck Fix?

I have had a bunch of problems with Fender Necks on my Strat. After they refused to fix the last neck, I replaced it with a Fender Custom Shop neck which seems to be holding up fine.

The thing is that I still have the old, screwed up neck. The problem with it is that the neck doesn't have enough travel in the truss rod. I could see using this neck on a project guitar, but I would guess it would have to have the skunk stripe routed and have a new truss rod put in it. Anybody know someone who would do this for a reasonable fee? (and any idea what reasonable would be). Thanks
    This has been a famous mortimer production

It would be cheaper to get a neck from Warmoth ...

They run about $135 US. A $6 spray and it is ready. I would guess (At least I would charge someone) more than that to fix what you want fixed. This being to install a new truss rod (and refinish).

Dale
    Last edited by Dale; 07-26-2002 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks for the reply, Dale. I suspected it may not be worth it, but I thought I'd at least enquire.

Pickdropper your neck is shot. I have seen this on a number of custom shop Fenders. The advice is always to persue it with customer service or the dealer. It is a warranty issue and the neck needs to be replaced.

You can try using a heavier guage string to pull it straight, but if that is not an option, or doesn't work, Fender is liable for making a neck with no rod action!

Thanks Tonefiend. I already tried this approach with Fender to no avail. I had a local guitar tech (who is Fender Gold Certified, btw), and he said the neck was screwed before I got it. I called Fender, and then he called Fender backing me up. Since it was past the warranty period, they didn't care that it was defective. The custom shop neck I have on it now is fine, but I really wish they had stood by their product.

If this neck goes twisty on me, I'm turning the whole damn Strat into a Kindlingocaster. :rr

Forum Member

What is the problem again?

What do you mean by "the truss rod doesn't have enough travel"? Do you mean that it won't come straight? Does it have a back bow or forward bow?

I assume this is a vintage style truss rod. The new Fender truss rod is two-way(bi-flex), meaning tightening the nut causes back bow, loosening actually bows the neck (as oppossed to just releasing tension like the vintage style).

Forum Member
    Well before you go lighting it on fire, Hendrix style. You could throw it my way. I'd give it a good home and it wouldn't get burnt. I'll even take it for walks and clean out its pen and feed it and water it and even play ball with it and scratch it behind its headstock. It would be happy.

Snow Bunny
    Last edited by Snow Bunny; 08-23-2002 at 11:58 PM.

Here's what to try...take out the truss rod nut...get a few small washers, big enough to fit around the rod, but small enough to get in the hole. Put 3 or 4 on the rod, put the nut back in (lube first...always a good practice) then try adjusting again.

And that "Snow Bunny"...that's my honey! Ain't she the cutest?

I love you Baby!

This just in from the offices of Dr. Tonefiend.

You can sometimes loosen the action of the truss rod giving the neck more movement. To do thist follow these directions:

Back off the nut about 1/8 inch. Use a hammer and hit the protruding bolt a few times. This will drive the rod forward in the slot a bit breaking it free from any glue that may be binding it.
    Tighten the bolt back up as tight as it will go but...

MAKE SURE THERE IS A WASHER BETWEEN HE BOLT AND WOOD

The washer prevents the nut from crushing into the wood. (sounds painful) And jamming into the threads perventing movement. This will pull the rod back into position. Repeat as nessisary.
    Then you can hang the neck off the edge of a table, carefully protecting the finish with a towel, use your weight to flex the neck. This will also help free up the rod. You may even hear the glue cracking free.

This is what I call persuading the neck. If this doesn'twork the neck is toast and the fingerboard needs to be leveled to play the way you want it to without the rod.

Tonefiend, licensed guitar chiropractor.
    Last edited by Tonefiend; 09-15-2002 at 06:15 PM.