Thread: '65 Strat $500!!???

'65 Strat $500!!???

I found someone selling a beat '65 Strat (refinned body and repaired headstock break, twice refretted) for $500 but with a disclaimer that the price may go up if there's a lot of interest

I bit anyway I'll see what happens. How much is something like this worth? Everything else is said to be original.

I know there should be a neck stamp on the neck but what about a determining if a body is the real deal?

Re: '65 Strat $500!!???

If a good luthier repaired the headstock, I'd have no problem with it. If the refret jobs were properly done, it's just maintanance. A re-fin drags the price down becuase of the originality factor, but a nice paint job protects the guitar and looks good. I love original vintage equipment, but I'm not anal enough to ignore a guitar like this. This could be a great little piece for a good price! If it's a player, and the pickups are originals, this thing could be a great buy!

Re: '65 Strat $500!!???

I figured it was still well worth over $500 even if the headstock repair was done at home with Elmer's glue for the body and original pups. The seller did say all was original expcept the refin and refret.

However, I think the seller was testing the waters to see what repsonse he gets and determine its real value. I'm sure he received an overwhelming amount of responses and had people running over there with open wallets. If I had really wanted it I would have needed to push the guy to go see it immediately and make a more realistic offer which I wasn't prepared to do.

Could have been a scam too and I just doen't know enough about 60s Strats to know what I would be looking for to verify it was real or not.