Thread: High quality Strat?

Forum Member

High quality Strat?

I am a Gibson LP player for many many years.
    My main guitar is a Gibson Customshop '59 RI.
    I am looking for a nice Fender to complement this guitar. I don't know anything about Fenders and I don't like the idea of spending months to learn. So therefor I could use some help with the learning proces :)

I play blues and classic rock. Amp is Bogner Shivahead.

What Fender type (I guess Strat or should it be Tele?) would you recommend that matches the quality of the Gibson CS?

Thanks!

Re: High quality Strat?

Punt-
    I seriously recommend taking your time man. Especially if you're not sure if you want a Tele or Strat. First thing you need to do is go play a whole bunch of both and see which type of guitar you prefer. Baby steps my man, baby steps. :)

I would sugest a closet classic, relic, or N.O.S '56 reissue strat in the 2-tone sunburst or blonde. my two noncents

Since you don't want to duplicate your current axe, but you probably like the feel of your Gibby neck.....

Check out strats and Teles with the neck profile that you like the feel of....probably the chunkier C or mayby even that Hard V neck that is so coveted.

Then, work on the models that they are attached to.

Sound your after, mone you can spend and availablility of hte sum of those parts migh equal a couple of modles, colors and pickup/wiring options that meet your fancy.

I guess that wan't too helpful, but just a few thoughts to ponder while you are on your journey.

Any other thoughts on what you might have in mind?

FJ

Forum Member

If you play a LP, the perfect counterpoint is a Tele.

With Alan Hamel pickups.

Forum Member

Having just done this myself, I ended up with a 56 Relic Strat. The soft V neck profile compliments the neck on my 02 59 reissue. Transitioning between the two during a set has been pretty good though I'm still working on a middle ground as far as amp settings go.

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    If you play a LP, the perfect counterpoint is a Tele.

Pete knows what he's talking about. Teles have the pure tone that Les Pauls have, only in a different flavor. Strats have a funky wierd midrange thing going.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Punt -

Don't forget about the P90 series guitars also. Nice thick, biting and smooth mellow tones out of the same axe.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I picked up an Agile 3000 in CSB, it looks great, sounds great, feels great, and costs about $359.00.
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$VYMZQCIAAALATTZENUEZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1444349

Slim profile neck w/ HBs http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$VYMZQCIAAALATTZENUEZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1456586

Others?
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$VYMZQCIAAALATTZENUEZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1456585

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$VYMZQCIAAALATTZENUEZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1009225

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$VYMZQCIAAALATTZENUEZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1251610

I agree that the Tele is a great axe and If I could aforf that route, i would probably get an old vintage piece complete with the Hogh-end Mojo Package (HMP).

But alas, I am a broke-ass Dumb-Ass (BADA) - like a bunch of us.

And don't mind some of the folks here...they don't mean any harm......they just don't have any better sense.

Good luck whatever you do....

I would be curious to see what you get.....
    I'm gonna bet you go with a Reissue Tele though...

Later

FJ

I know what it's like coming from the Gibson world to the Fender world. They are quite different. I think what you are really fishing for is what questions to ask, and what makes a good guitar in the Fender world. Am I correct?

You’re not trying to bypass the hard work of testing guitars, but you have to know where to start. You have to have the people you trust tell you what makes a good Fender. Otherwise it's like me going into a dress shop and picking out a quality garment for my wife. I really have no clue what makes up a good dress...

Same thing will happen here, if we don't tell you what makes up a good Fender, you could come out with a Squire with a Fender label on it and not know the difference.

With that said. A Telecaster is really the easiest transition from a Gibson. You will get good Fender tones, but without the complexity of three pickups and the tuning instability of a Fender Tremolo.

But then again, you may be looking for something completely different from a Les Paul and really want to explore the three pickups, in-between tones and the Tremolo. That's where I was. I wanted to go to the other extreme.

Which way do you want to go? That way we can direct you to what makes up a good Telecast or Stratocaster. A Gibson like Fender or an all out Fender?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Hey guys thanks for the input.
    It's not that I am lazy, but it took me about 30 years to find my main LP, the R9. I guess I don't have that amount of time to spend on finding a good Fender guitar.
    I know that next to the real thing there are a lot of cheap copies, also from Fender.
    I want the real thing but I don't want to pay rediculous prices for real '50's guitars.

When somebody would ask me what LP to buy I would recommend a Customshop Hystoric. That person has to find out what type he likes, but he can't go wrong with that choise.

I was hoping to get that kind of information so my search could be limited to the real good stuff and I wouldn't waste time on toys.

I also have to mention that in Holland real good guitars are rare, so maybe I might wind up buying one overseas. This means I can't play them all but have to rely on info from places like this.

About the guitar:
    Neck sizes don't matter a lot to me.
    I luke pure tone to play blues and rock.
    I did have a '72 and a '83 Strat in the past but they didn't do it for me. But sometimes I hear real good strat/tele sounds.
    I have a Fender Tele Thinline '72, but compared to my Gibson R9 it sounds like a toy. But there must be real good Fenders, I hear them sometimes on records:)

Thanks!

Well for me and my limited budget, I really do like the current American Series Strats and Tele's. I like updated equipment. I just sold my AmSer Tele and it was really nice. Great neck, and the stock pickups sounded great to me also. The 6-saddle bridge worked great also. I like to have the intonation as close as possible, and you can't do that with vintage saddles.

My new AmSer Strat is really nice also. The neck is thicker than other Strats I've played. I also prefer the modern 2-point Tremolo. It seems to stay in better tune than the vintage Tremolo. And I actually like the stock pickups also.

Out of the box, it seems to be a decent Strat to go with. It appears all the production problems I've heard about on the AmSer guitars have been worked out because this new one I have dons not seem to have them. And I have seen my share of guitars with the problems.

But also the Japanese Fenders are excellent, but most end up switching out all the electronics. I feel the AmSer is a pretty solid guitar the way it is if you buy brand-new.
    Photoweborama

TFF Stage Crew
    Punt, I'm familiar w/you from the LPF; you post frequently in the Historic District.
    If you are committed to the vintage vibe & like classic tones, then you should probably get an N.O.S. guitar. The Relic series are overdone, IMO. And I would go w/a Stratocaster, too. A Tele would be a second choice because of it's similarity to a Les Paul. It's NOT an LP, I know. I'm just saying that it's a lot closer than a Strat is. If you're going for tonal diverisity, the Strat's the thing.
    In the end I'd want a Tele after the Strat, though;)
    If you go w/an import model from Fender Japan, you are going to get a GREAT neck & body as far as the grain & contours go, but the hardware, finish, & electronics leave a lot to be desired. Even the ones I've seen finished in nitrocellulose didn't have that thin lacquer like the vintage ones did; it's still pretty thick & looks that way. I have taken Japanese Fenders & stripped them of the poly coats, refinned them in nitro & stuck in good elecs. & hardware, but that's a lot of work. Luckily for me I enjoy that kind of stuff anyhow.
    I would have recommended a boutique builder first, but what with all the legalities, who would do such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    If you're going for tonal diverisity, the Strat's the thing.
    That's the way I feel also.
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Great !

So far I think I have to look for N.O.S. Strats or Teles.
    Maybe a Strat without a tremeloe, because I don't use that.

What is a N.O.S. guitar (new old stock?)
    And where can I get it or any info about it?

There's a good builder here in Holland, do you think a good craftsman can build a Strat/Tele with the feel of a real old Fender.

What hardware do you recommend? I like to play screaming solo's :)

Thanks,
    Ton

Quote Originally Posted by Punt
    Wow is this is what Fender guitars do to some players I might be better of with a Les Paul with P90's :bwa :rl
    Naah. Get a tele with P90's and get the best of both worlds!
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Naah. Get a tele with P90's and get the best of both worlds!
    Nope, I ain't gonna say it...

Forum Member

What ? :ahem

That was targeted at you, you know. Just call me :troll

Now Pete, if you only had the choice of a 'telestyle' guitar with P90's or a Les Paul with P90's, which would you play?
    orange picks

Punt,
    If you are looking for the best value for your money, check out the Fender Japan guitars, either new from Ishibashi, or even a used one. If you can find a FJ Custom Shop, or ExTrad model, you'll have an instrument that rivals any Master Built Fender Custom Shop guitar. The U.S. Custom Shop instruments are all fine guitars, but IMO, way overpriced for what you get. If money is no object, you can buy a Fender that will make you happy, but I would suggest that you look at Suhr, Anderdson, Lentz, Melancon, or similar boutique builders that offer better, less expensive alternatives to FMIC. Since you mentioned that are playing through a Bogner Shiva head, I know that you are willing to spend the bucks it takes to get quality gear.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    That was targeted at you, you know. Just call me :troll

Now Pete, if you only had the choice of a 'telestyle' guitar with P90's or a Les Paul with P90's, which would you play?
    With my surgically repaired lower spine, the Tele, with a very light body. But I wouldn't call it a Tele. :-P

LP's are torture for me to play standing up.

I also put the Tele in the same vein as the Les Paul. A Strat is going to sound airy and have a nice chime to it. I don't really agree with going the CS route for a Strat, there are just too many great builders out there for the same price or less.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Forum Member

If I lived in the Netherlands, I'd look into www.haarguitars.nl for a custom tele or a strat.

Forum Member

Great info guys! Thanks again :)

I will check Japanese CS and boutique builders.
    I know Haarguitars, I am one of his customers :) , he also sells Suhrs, I will check that too.

Forum Member

go here: http://www.stratcollector.com/

those are high quality strats and teles that should match your lp