Thread: teles

teles

i really love the way the tele sounds and looks...
    but...
    i play a lot of blues along with my rock... i get a hard on when i play the scales from comfortably numb....

hehe

i really want a tele... but im just not sure of what it is im really going to get...
    those of you that are tele junkies have made me realize that just like with my strats.... getting into a tele is essentially getting into a whole other wonderful world...

you know my styles.. and any advice you could give to this tele virgin would be wonderfully appreciated...

i dont know Anybody that owns a tele... so i havent had the luxury of experimenting......
    HELP ME!
    hehe

p.s. im soo in love with lily

I think the best thing for you to do is just go to a local music store and play some. That's the only way you're going to find out.

IMO the heart of a Tele is the bridge PUP but the weak link is the neck PUP, kinda the opposite of a Strat. You can have a really versatile Tele without sacrificing that classic bridge PUP sound by sticking a different neck PUP in there. There are aftermarket choices that don't require routing plus Fender and other builders make models with different neck PUPs(try some of these out). Routing a '52RI or even a CS Tele is OK in my book, but I wouldn't do it to an actual vintage Tele.

There are lots of choices. A Strat PUP will get you those Hendrix & SRV sounds while a P90 is a little meatier. A mini-bucker, either the EPI-type or a Firebird PUP will make for a great R&R guitar. A full-sized bucker works great for blues & rock provided you stick with vintage specs and output. And should you start playing Rockabilly you can even stick an alnico Filtertron in there! You can also warm up the bridge PUP some without losing that Tele vibe or if you don't care that much about getting a real authentic classic sound, there are plenty of hot Tele bridge PUPs available. If you're starting to think a Tele is kind of like an Erector set, you're on the right track ;-)

I have 3 Teles right now, one has a Strat neck PUP, another has a Duncan SH1 '59, and the 3rd is actually an Esquire which is the other solution: yank the thang out entirely!!! Some say Esquires sustain better due to less magnetic pull at the node point. My SH1 equipped Tele doesn't sound like a Les Paul, but it'll do some of those Santana PRS sounds plus it has great Woman tone. Both PUPs together is more HIFI sounding than a Les Paul and with a little amp crunch it produces those Keith Richards sounds! Did I forget to mention Albert Collins?