Thread: Clean Boost Secrets....Let's hear 'em!

Clean Boost Secrets....Let's hear 'em!

So what kind of pedals are you guys using to get a nice clean boost. I have an old DOD Bi-Fet Preamp pedal that I use. Let's expose more Clean Boost secrets. :ahem

Re: Clean Boost Secrets....Let's hear 'em!

I use a Bad Bob when I bother to drag out my board.

Usually I'm too lazy, and just drag my Fulldrive II out. If I want clean boost, I pull up on the 'comp cut."
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

i use a couple different pedals for clean boost. but i don't usually set it for too clean.

one thing i do when i play in my cover band is play stacked tubescreamers. i usually play thru my twin so there isn't much dist coming from the amp. so the first ts is set for dist, think aerosmith or zz top. it is just a touch louder than the clean sound coming out of the amp. then the second ts is set with the output all the way up, and the dist to about 8 or 9 oclock. that way when i got to take a solo it jumps out over the band, but doesn't add much distortion.

sometimes i just use my old mxr micro amp, and i really like this best. it sounds more organic. but i only use this if i'm playing my bassman.

in the new band i'm in however, i don't play solos, so most of the pedals stay home. i use my vol knob a whole lot now. but i do have a modded ds1 for when i need a little more drive than a tweed deluxe will afford.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew

Fulltone Fat-Boost, but I use live, and I leave it on all the time, so I guess that doesn't really qualify.

I have a Dyna-Comp on my board that use as a clean (& compressed obviously) boost for some solo work when I don't feel like doing the overdrive thing.

Occasionally I do exactly what Kap'n describes and use my FD2 without its compression circuit.

You need to try your Bad Bob driving the Fulldrive. Now that is a sweet, sweet sound. That's my thing. I use the BB to jump out for a solo or to get increased gain out of the FD. Either way, it's a very useful little pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    You need to try your Bad Bob driving the Fulldrive. Now that is a sweet, sweet sound.
    I agree. When I bother with more than one pedal, it's BB, FD2, Rat, Delay, Reverb, Trem. I'm just too lazy recently. That, and I just bought a Maestro Boomerang, and I haven't decided if and where it fits.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I use a compressor pdeal at times for the boost. Other times an OD-3 set with little to no drive and bump the gain. I sometimes drive the amp a bit, use teh boost and even a second pedal (TS style or DS-1) to add a differnt character. Sometimes I split the signal and run one clean to the amp and the other half though a pedal baord as well. The latter is not a clean boost but when blended right give mucht he same vibe to me.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6