Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how many people here own Squiers?

Re: So how many people here own Squiers?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogs
    CheapStrat-
    Did that Fender pickguard fit on the Squier without having to drill new holes?
    Late posting...sorry...yep...it fit like a glove...I think most MIM Squires will accept American Fender guards. Mine was a perfect fit.

OK cool deal man! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko
    I've owned several of the japanese Squires. I only have a neck still that I play very frequently. It's on my crazy pink one with the gibson humbuckers and double ring Klusons.

Those tuners actually look kinda cool,Wilco!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I used to own an Indonesian Squier strat.... it had about 10 dead spot, buzzed on every string and went out of tune after 30 seconds of playing.... but I still loved playing it for some reason. It was a real bluesy guitar.

I read loads of posts about Squiers going out of tune if you keep the bridge floating.

I play a lot of Floyd and generally hammer my trem (especially on Comfortably Numb at the end of the solo) and my Squier stays in tune for ages. It's probably the most stable (non locking) trem I've ever used. My old Yamaha RGX112 used to go out of tune if I even looked at the trem bar so I ended up removing it.

http://fp.jesterstear1.plus.com/Guit...erStrat_SB.htm
    Nothing's forgotten...nothing is ever forgotten

B
    oss GT-100 COSM Amp Effects Processor & FS6 Dual Footswitch

Quote Originally Posted by JestersTear1
    I read loads of posts about Squiers going out of tune if you keep the bridge floating.

I play a lot of Floyd and generally hammer my trem (especially on Comfortably Numb at the end of the solo) and my Squier stays in tune for ages. It's probably the most stable (non locking) trem I've ever used. My old Yamaha RGX112 used to go out of tune if I even looked at the trem bar so I ended up removing it.

http://fp.jesterstear1.plus.com/Guit...erStrat_SB.htm
    Mine is the same...as is the MIM Standard. No tuning instability with the trem floating at all. I have it set 1/8"+ off the body and have done only a couple of things to help it stay in tune:

1. Make sure there are no burrs in the nut slots or bridge saddles.

2. Used some "Lock-Ease in each of the nut slots every time I change strings.

3. A little Chapstick applied with a toothpick under the string tree.

Other than that, set up to Fender's specs with a little personal tweaking for action preferences. It's all good!

I have an 89 MIA Squier. Neck is superb and I am in the process of fitting some Custom shop 54 pickups.
    Not sure about the bridge /trem yet as I have not fully tested it.

The completed item with copper shielded pearl pickguard and Custom shop '54 Pups .SWEET..
    Last edited by Dr Fene; 01-11-2005 at 06:01 AM.

Another MIA Squier, cool!

Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Kap'n, sorry I took so long to post.
    The Custom II is a great little guitar. I got it from HOG for $209 plus tax. I got the blonde. Those P-90s scream! I wasn't expecting a "real" P-90, but that's what I got.
    I had to do some fret end trimming and filing because the ends were pretty sloppy, but other than that it's a good guitar. I'm going to change the strings to 10s pretty soon.
    Also, I just ordered one of those new Squire 51s from Zzounds. $150 shipped. How can you beat that?
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Those P-90s scream! I wasn't expecting a "real" P-90, but that's what I got.
    I had to do some fret end trimming and filing because the ends were pretty sloppy, but other than that it's a good guitar. I'm going to change the strings to 10s pretty soon.
    That they do, Mikey.

I can attest to the frets being sharp/poorly dressed. Once the guitar gets played in, the neck will feel like buttah. Nice, chunky profile.

Why not go to 11's?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

11s are pretty thick for my skinny, boney fingers. Heck, I can't play 9s yet!

I just scored another USA Squier in a Pawn shop yesterday. Apparently black was the color of choice for them.

This one has no skunk stripe and a Bi-flex truss rod adjustment at the headstock instead of at the body end like the other 2 in this thread. And the serial number's in beyween my other one and Dr. Fene's.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I just scored another USA Squier in a Pawn shop yesterday. Apparently black was the color of choice for them.

This one has no skunk stripe and a Bi-flex truss rod adjustment at the headstock instead of at the body end like the other 2 in this thread. And the serial number's in between my other one and Dr. Fene's.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Looks great I wonder how many were made?

Mine does not have a skunk stripe either, the body is swimming pool route, were these American Strat bodies? I have installed custom shop 54's at the mo and it does sound sweet.

The route on my new one is S-S-H. According to The Fender Book by Tony Bacon and Paul Day the bodies and necks were made in the USA, shipped to Mexico for finishing, and returned to the US for final assembly which qualified them for the "Made in USA" designation.
    VM

I just bought a Tele Custom. It's too soon to say much about it, but it certainly does have potential. :)

Forum Member

Chiming in late on this thread (be gentle, I'm a newbie). I have a Squier SE-100 from a Strat Pack that my sister got for me for Christmas 2003. I love this guitar, but I've modded it quite a bit. New pots, switch, Grover locking tuners, roller string trees, straplocks, pickups next. I play Fender Bullets 9-42s and I use the trem quite a bit. The body is solid Agathis and the neck is straight and true. The frets are excellent. I gave it a good setup as per the Mr. Gearhead site. She's a great little rocker for the money, which in my case was FREE!

I currently have two, and I've owned a total of three in my lifetime.

My first Squier was a cream Strat I got for Christmas around 1991 or so. It was either MIJ or MIK, I honesty cannot recall. It was a nice guitar, from what I recall, but I was just never really happy with the tone I got from it. So, I ended up trading it in on a 1978 Fender Mustang.

One of the two I have now is a red Affinity Strat that my dad received as a gift from a Marriott meeting out in CA in 2000. Pickups are weak, but it's a good guitar for plinking around on. Neck feels really good.

The other Squier I have, as I've mentioned in another thread, is a new Squier '51. I wanted the vintage yellow with the black pickguard, but I guess they're not available currently. The sunburst was a close second choice anyway, so that's what I got. I really dig the neck and the pickup arrangment and switching.

But.

As I mentioned in the other thread, when I got it home and plugged it up, the bridge pickup was not coming on. Had a friend of mine who is a guitar tech come over last night and check it out. Turns out the switch is bad. The pole that HB pickup is on is dead.

Now, here's a question I pose to you forum members...

What would you do?

My friend can come by tonight and just put the HB on another pole on the switch and fix it, or would you return the guitar and get another one?

Keep in mind that this was the last sunburst model that GC had, and who knows when they'll receive more. Heck, they may even receive a vintage yellow with a black pickguard...but that doesn't seem likely. Also keep in mind that my friend will not charge me for the repair, although I'll attempt to sneak him some money somehow.

Other than this bugger of a problem with the switch, the build quality and feel of my '51 is pretty flippin' good for a $149.00 guitar.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

I'd just have your friend fix it, new switch, better quality one. I wouldn't chance taking it back because you never know what'll happen with them folks. Heck they might talk you into taking a Chino acoustic instead. Yeech!

***** So how many people here own Squiers?*****

I do, an '83 'JV '62 RI...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I'd just have your friend fix it, new switch, better quality one. I wouldn't chance taking it back because you never know what'll happen with them folks. Heck they might talk you into taking a Chino acoustic instead. Yeech!
    He's not putting in a new switch...at least not yet. He was just going to wire the HB to another pole.

As far as GC switching me...not gonna happen. However, now that you mention it...when I called to ask if they had any in stock, and the guy told me what they had, I said "ok, I'll probably be up there this evening to get it", he was like, "now are you sure this is what you want? I mean, they're a low-end guitar." Kinda cracked me up. THEN, when I was at the register, the guy looked at me and said something like "so...you actually want to get this?" Again, it sort of cracked me up, and after confirming that I DID want it, he just commented that they've been selling a lot of them.

Odd.

But I'm just afraid it's going to either take forever for them to get another sunburst one or a vintage yellow with a black pickguard or when they get one in, I won't be able to get down there quickly enough.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

I don't have one, but two of my sons do. My youngest guy has a MIM Squier; its one of the ones that says "Fender" in large black print and in very small letter, it says "Squire Series" on the headstock. Evidently these were made in Mexico while they were ramping up Mexican production, before they moved Squire production to Indonesia. Its virtually the same as a MIM strat (according to some Fender people). Its a nice guitar, but he doesn't play it much. We DID have to upgrade the tuning machines. His main guitar now is an ESP.

My oldest son plays a Squire Affinity P-bass. He likes it, and has no inclination to move up.
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

Hey THe Bisch,

Beautiful guitar - very similar to mine :

B

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, but like most first posters, i have been watching for a while
    I have six squiers, two are 2003 standard strats, (3T SB and Cherry SB.)
    Plus one 98 Pro-Tone strat, in trans blue (fading to green).
    I also have three JV strats, one 62 vintage, Fiesta red (june 83) another 57 vintage 2TSB (Sept 82) and a 62 vintage, 3TSB (May 82, with large Fender spaghetti logo and small squier logo on the ball of the headstock)
    I love them all!!! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...agesquiers.jpg

My son's new butterscotch Tele should be in today. He has a Gibby LP, but he fell in love with my new Tele. I'm glad I was able to talk him into a Squier. Can't afford another Fender...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by Rockape

Lovely guitars - welcome to the forums!!

p.s. drop by the UKFF thread in the Whammy Bar section and say Hi

B

Rockape-
    Nice JV collection man!

Yo Photo-
    So this Tele is really for your son right?

Hi all!

I have posted some pictures of my other squiers.
    (hope you don't mind) :)

PS Thanks for your comments on the JV's
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...erstandard.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r_Standard.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/Pro-tone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogs
    Rockape-
    Nice JV collection man!

Yo Photo-
    So this Tele is really for your son right?
    Well, I do have the new parts tele that I just finished. More the question is... did I buy the Gibson Les Paul really for my son... that's the right question... :lol

It's a nice guitar. The fret ends were really sharp, but I fixed that and then did a good setup on it. It sounds really good with stock pickups and the body seems to be deep enough to take a real switch and pots... you know me.. I can't leave it stock!
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama