Thread: Searching for perfect classic Tele

Forum Member

Searching for perfect classic Tele

I am seeking some opinions- I'm looking around for a Custom Shop Tele. I want a maple fretboard with pretty wide frets. I'm undecided between alder or ash body. What I'm looking for is the classic tele sound like you hear from C&W pickin' or even a Roy Buchanan. I currently have a Tom Anderson hollow-T classic, all swamp ash with an african rosewood fretboard. Don't get me wrong, it's fabulous, but still not quite that typical Fender maple fretboard sound. I'm looking at another 3 pickup Anderson ash-on-alder T-classic, that might
    work, but still not sure. Not being a Tele expert,
    I thought I would post out here to get some opinions.

Any advice or ideas, anyone??

Forum Member

Re: Searching for perfect classic Tele

Originally posted by korinabill
    I am seeking some opinions- I'm looking around for a Custom Shop Tele. I want a maple fretboard with pretty wide frets. I'm undecided between alder or ash body. What I'm looking for is the classic tele sound like you hear from C&W pickin' or even a Roy Buchanan. I currently have a Tom Anderson hollow-T classic, all swamp ash with an african rosewood fretboard. Don't get me wrong, it's fabulous, but still not quite that typical Fender maple fretboard sound. I'm looking at another 3 pickup Anderson ash-on-alder T-classic, that might
    work, but still not sure. Not being a Tele expert,
    I thought I would post out here to get some opinions.

Any advice or ideas, anyone??
    kbill,
    I'm not an expert on anything Fender, let alone Tele...and I'll admit to being clueless on Tom Anderson; but, if you're still listening...I've owned five '52 RIs (BB, Black & Copper) and a buncha of other Tele variations; played a few more, too, but nothing major compared to gurus of TFF (and never gigged any of them; cuz I don't gig).

Still, for my money, if that Tele sound can't be pulled out of a very good '52 RI, thru a vintage Fender amp...it's the operator's problem. I love these guitars, and only had one that I thought was sub-standard.

I'll back off now, and allow the experts to come thru. :2c

I agree with Preztone, it sounds like you're looking for a '52 reissue. Another excellent choice would be the Custom Shop Nocaster, but IMO the '52 more than fits the bill for what you require.
    Last edited by Mr. Z; 08-28-2002 at 06:17 PM.

Forum Member
    Thanks, guys! I will definitely check out a '52. I did try out a Nocaster at a Mars store a few weeks back, and I vaguely remember one of the pickups was a lot weaker than the other. Is a '52 like that also? One other thing, I notice early Teles have 21 frets and later others have 22. Would that have any effect on the tone?

Thanks again--
    KB

There's a number of things that contribute to that old classic C&W Tele tone in addition to the ash body/maple neck combo.

One of the most important is the ferrous metal bridge plate(not brass, not stainless, not aluminum, or die cast whatever, just plain old sheet steel) combined with the copper-plated steel plate on the bottom of the bridge PUP. Together, these two alter the magnetic field and the sound of the PUP. They also typically add some microphonics(more vibrartion from the ash body?), but most great Teles are microphonic to some extent. Buchanan's Nancy squeals like crazy.

The old style saddles also have an effect. Having 2 strings per saddle and thru-body stringing increases the string pressure on the bridge. Brass will soften the attack and the highs somewhat and give you more of a Nashville sound. Steel is brighter and favored by players seeking that Bakersfield sound. It's also important to have enouigh break angle over the saddles. A good rule of thumb is that there should be some 'air' visible between the side edge of the old-style bridge and the bottom of the strings when viewed from the side. Some players raise the action, but a certain amount of fret buzz helps the sound, especially for chicken-pickin where the player deliberately lets the strings smack the fretboard. Lower vintage frets work better for this as well. That's also why you'll often see gouges in the end of the fretboard on well -used old Teles. Getting a decent string angle over the bridge is one reason many old Teles have(and sound better with) neck shims. This all hurts sustain somewhat, but this is a Tele not a Les Paul :-)

Regarding the neck PUP sound on current RI Fenders, the switch is wired like the originals - Bridge PUP, Neck PUP, Neck PUP with extra cap for a real dark sound. RIs used to come with instructions on how to upgrade them to the more modern wiring(Bridge, Bridge+Neck, Neck) and most players do this mod(and have been doing it since who knows when!). The schematics are also widely available on the net(Seymour Duncan's site has them).

Hope this helps.

I'm not as knowledgable about Tele's as Teleologist by a long shot, but on a personal note I would like to say that I went through four "Teles" over a couple of years and just could not find that sound with any of them - it frustrated me to the point where I just decided that maybe I wasn't a Tele player :rolleyes: About 18 months after selling the last one, I pick up a '52 RI while browsing a local shop here and BAM! I just know it's what I've been looking for all along... Plugging it into a Tone Master for half an hour lets my ears confirm what my hands are telling me and voila, I now have the perfect Tele for me :) I hope you find yours!
    He's hot! He's hip! and he's hairy!

From what I know, I think most of what has already been communicated to you is relevant and accurate. I would like to add the following…

I think you are on the right track in wanting a Custom Shop Tele. The wood used by the Custom Shop is lighter, stiffer, and more resonant than that used in the factory. To my ears that is very important. Overall, the materials and construction are better, leaving you with the impression that you are playing a professional quality instrument. If a new one seems pricey to you, there are plenty of used ones out there in great condition. The two I have were literally unplayed when I bought them. You will also find that many of these guitars have custom options (like bigger frets) that suit your preferences.

Most guys I know seem to think that the Time Machine Relics are the best sounding Teles coming out of the Custom Shop. This is of course a subjective opinion but it is one I share. The proof will come in the your own playing as you try these guitars out. One thing you will notice on most vintage reissue style Teles is that the neck pickup is considerably weaker than the bridge pickup. Classic Tele tone is dominated by the bridge pickup. When trying out a Tele, play it mostly in the bridge pickup position and be certain that you are in love with the tone you hear.

The other half of the equation is your amp. Teles love amps that have well rounded tone. The Fender Twin is a popular choice but not the only one. When you try out a Tele, try it out with as many amps as you can plug into. It may be quite possible that your Tele purchase will require an amp purchase as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Clem Wittler

Forum Member
    May I suggest a Scott Lentz Tele? I wanted a Roy Buchanan sound and Scott nailed it! Scott's prices are very reasonable and his gear just plain smokes! So good in fact that I don't desire any more vintage fifties fender guitars.

Check out these reviews!

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...4/Scott-Lentz/

Here's my tele:

Custom Shop Teles

Yeah... I've got 2 of 'em. But here's an interesting story.

When I originally decided I wanted a bender Tele, I called up Joe Glaser in Nashville to find out about having him build me one of his hot-rods. For those who don't know, a fair number of Nashville Tele's and Esquires are actually Glasers(Ricky Skaggs and Jimmy Olander are 2 exampels). The most common ones have binding only on the front of the body, flamey necks, and of course a bender. Joe is also 'the' luthier for a number of famous Nashville Tele pickers, including Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, and Reggie Young.

So anyways, Joe tells me he's no longer building them largely because the stuff coming out of the Custom Shop is so good it's not worth the time and trouble for him to build new guitars. He especially likes the Relics and his idea of the best body finish for a Tele is one coat of engine primer like on Brent Mason's & Jimmy O's Tele's!

Just to finish up, I wasn't crazy about the Relic idea and ended up with a limited run C.S. Tele with a thin Nitro-finished body and catalyzed poly baseball bat neck(this was before the Closet Classic & NOS Time machines, but how this one came to be is a whole 'nother story). Right after I got it, I sent it off to Joe for a vintage bender, and it is one fine sounding Tele!
    Last edited by Teleologist; 08-29-2002 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member
    kbill,
    If you go the Nocaster route, might wanna get one from this millennium. A Fender rep admitted, via a post over in the poor man's Fender forum (ahem, chortle & harrumph), that the early Time Machine Series gits can have QC issues: FYI.
    ;)
    Last edited by Preztone; 08-29-2002 at 05:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Hey, thanks to all of you. That's great,great info.I just got home from a friend's house that has lots of guitars; he had a fiesta red C.S. Esquire, a C.S. No-caster, a Japanese paisley Tele, and a Melancon Tele. They were all pretty good but each was very different. The Esquire seemed best to me, except for having just one pickup. All the necks were radically different as well. I think I will look for some '52 relics this weekend somewhere, and will arm myself with all of your good advices. I do also have a '67 Super Reverb that I think would pass as the other part of the mix. BTW, this is way off the subject, but if you want to see my goofy mugshot with a stunning guitar (not a Tele), look at www.andersonguitars.com and click on "Guitar of the Week".

Thanks again-I really appreciate all of your valuable info.
    KB

Forum Member
    We don't mind helping you Bill, but we don't wanna see yer ugly puss...sorry. :lolspin