Thread: musings of the modders.

musings of the modders.

i know i'm not the only one who mods guitars around here. so what is happening? i'm still working on my tele custom copy, getting the pups adjusted and the neck set right. i'm also about to take my dearmond down and get a new roller built for the bigsby. anyone else working on something?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: musings of the modders.

Just moved house so all the money's going into that for now (still need a bed!).

However, next is an Alder USA CG body to replace the Mex basswood one currently coupled with the USA CG Pao Ferro neck. Then I put the Mex strat back together as original (w/upgraded electrics) and see if i want a nicer maple neck, and possibly Fralins as a compliment to the Kinmans in the other. The I'll have 2 nice Strats and my LP, so I can start on the Tele!

Planning on USA CG swamp ash body, butterscotch blonde, maple neck w/rosewood board 9.5" straight radius, Callaham hardware, and probably Kinman Broadcasters. I am having a hard time not just putting it all on the plastic, but some dumbass said patience is a virtue.

The there's the Sunburst Strat and the P90 tele, oh and I want to try a DIY 18W amp project.

NO WAY am I going to waste my money on a TV. Just play, mod, play, beer, mod, tweak, play, spliff, oops...
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

I've got the finish stripped off my MIM Tele. I'm going to attempt to bind the edges before finishing. I'll planning on routing for a neck humbucker, but may go all the way and go Tele-Gib style. The body has been stripped for months now, no idea why it's taking me so long!

I have a Tele project cookin'.
    I have hardware,(except string tree!) pots etc, a nice Sage Green body, neck pos. mini-HB.
    I've bought and returned 2 necks so far. (Looking for chunkyish w/rosewood!!) :wah
    I still need to get a mint green pickguard, and choose a sweet bridge p'up.
    (It should wind up lookin' like my avatar!)

Then, just to toss a potential spanner into the works, I stumbled upon a really nice '96 MIJ 62 Classic Tele.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I just finished some mods to a Hwy1 Tele. Kinman Broadcaster pickups, new pickguard, strap locks, series and phasing switching, Callaham bridge...

Next on the agenda is my double HB tele. I don't care for the flatulent, dull bass that I'm getting with the Seymour Duncan 59s. I'll be exploring some other option as my wallet allows...

Oh, and I'm going to build a simple switching stompbox. Switch 1 will shunt the signal to the tuner. Switch 2 will engage an effects loop. Switch 3 will select channel A or B. It should allow me to get a lot more mileage out of the effects I already have. I'm going to put my two OD type pedals in the loop and be able to switch channels on my amp. I'm looking forward to it as I haven't built any stompboxes before...

Nothing on the table now...except a few donuts...got a Strat body from brisk coming in for paint and some guy is sending his Jag neck for headstock paint, I guess I'll be doing some stuff, but not for me. If Tele Bob has a good report on his new neck only Strat, I may turn my Tom Delonge Strat into one...
    Hopeless modaholic...

nut, can't wait to see those paint jobs. for those not in the know butnut does the best paint. his flake jobs are unreal!

I'm always working on something.
    A real hot rod is never finished.

The Firme Chicanocaster is getting a hardtail white Warmoth body and a parchment guard. I'm also having the tech add GraphTec saddles and a battery box for the EMG pups.

I just bought back my '83 Ibanez Artist. I want to refinish the guitar in black if I can muster up the cajones...
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Working on my USACG swamp ash thinline project right now...
    Going to pickup the body from the finisher tonight. I have all the parts except the pups, but taking my time with this one since it will probably be my last project in a while at least....

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

I'm hoping it rains either tomorrow or Sunday.
    I'm changing the pots in my MIJ 50's Tele, and swapping the bridge so I can use the Callaham on my project Tele. Still need a neck and a bridge p'up.
    Have to grind a nylon washer thin enough to use on the "Digsby" on my DeArmond M77T. Will then slap a nice smooth set of Elixr .011's on. (pretty minor as mods go, but wait...)

And the wicked cool thing is I'll get to plug 'em both into my "new" '72 Deluxe Reverb, arriving Saturday!! :wail2
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

I put a Fender "Original '62" P-Bass pickup in my MIA Precision Deluxe.The new pickup fits under the original pickups covers (which are matte black instead of shiny), so it's totally stealth, except for the beveled pole pieces. It sounds great... very vintagey, and great match in terms of gain and tone with the Fender "Jazz humbucker" at the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I'm always working on something.
    A real hot rod is never finished.

true true true, tonight i'm gonna drop in a different pup in the mid position of the joe perry strat. i need something less authoritive sounding in that position. i have a show tomorrow and i want to try it out live. not gonna tell the other guitarist cause he'll freak out.

Formerly joe mama

Quote Originally Posted by chaz498
    Just moved house so all the money's going into that for now (still need a bed!).

However, next is an Alder USA CG body to replace the Mex basswood one currently coupled with the USA CG Pao Ferro neck. Then I put the Mex strat back together as original (w/upgraded electrics) and see if i want a nicer maple neck, and possibly Fralins as a compliment to the Kinmans in the other. The I'll have 2 nice Strats and my LP, so I can start on the Tele!

Planning on USA CG swamp ash body, butterscotch blonde, maple neck w/rosewood board 9.5" straight radius, Callaham hardware, and probably Kinman Broadcasters. I am having a hard time not just putting it all on the plastic, but some dumbass said patience is a virtue.

The there's the Sunburst Strat and the P90 tele, oh and I want to try a DIY 18W amp project.

NO WAY am I going to waste my money on a TV. Just play, mod, play, beer, mod, tweak, play, spliff, oops...

Which MIM is basswood? Do you wanna sell or swap something?

joe mama - sorry, brainfade. Should have been Poplar, and keeping it.

:)
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

I just finished swapping pickups in the 83 MIJ 62RI in my avatar. Took the Duncan Hot Rails out of the neck and bridge positions. Dropped the L'il 59 I found while cleaning my apartment(don't ask) in the bridge, and used the neck pickup from an old Squire I had. I left the SSL-1 in the middle, but put covers on it, along with the neck, since the 59 is white. Of course, the colors don't match!:lol
    Since I'm not the Grunge Boy I was ten years ago, this combo is much more usable to me. The previously installed coil-tap sounds great with the 59, but I'm trying to figure out what do do with the one that was for the neck Hot Rail. A self-destruct switch, maybe? ;)

As for my main guitar, a Y2K Les Paul Classic, I think I'm done for a while. Maybe just some fine tuning, like a graphite nut for my newly installed Bigsby. I had put in a 1Meg and a 500K volume pot for the bridge (Duncan Custom) and neck (stock 496) pickups, respectively. Did the Duncan Spin-a-Split mod for the bridge, too.

I just can't leave well-enough alone! :lol

yeah welcome to the club 555.

the pup swap in the JP strat was just what i was looking for. i used my 78 musicmaster single coil pup with the original cover. worked really well. i think i'm going to put a regular cover on it to get a little more brightness out of it.

next on the plate is my m75t. that thing has been sitting in the closet for awhile and after recording the other day i realized i need it.

but for now i'm just gonna fine tune what i got. i need to generate some extra cash to get my three other projects finished.

and then there is that amp i want to buy...

so i got a bug up my ass tonight and pulled out the "2 ton epoxy" i bought about a month ago at orchard. decided to try and reglue all of the fish tank marbles onto my bolt neck paul. i think it is going to work this time, and if not, oh well. it is going to take a couple more hours for it to set up. but here is a pic of what it looks like. i'm sure some of you remember me talking about this geetar. sorry about the large picture size, but i'm at my parents' house and there isn't a photo editing software on their computer.

i hope everyone else's projects are going good.

Are the marbles staying on?

I just put a set of Mark's stainless steel piston knobs on my USA Custom Guitars T-Style. I don't normally spend mone on stuff like that, but they look great and what's a hot rod without pistons?

I ordered a 5-way super switch and just received a Duncan SSL-1 that I bought from 59paul on the Duncan forum.

I had Tommy put a middle route in the T-Style body and have already modded a Fender '52 re-issue pickguard to fit it.

I'm thinking of putting together a USACG S-Style now. I think I'll have that professionally finished though, as I doubt my ability to do a sunburst that I'd be happy with on my first try.

i let it sit for 2 days before handling it and they are holding on like anything. definitely gonna work. good thing cause i have a one off show on oct. second and plan on using this guitar at that show.

aren't mark's knobs the coolest? i'm gonna get a set can't decide what style i want.