Thread: "E.C Was Here" tone-Marshall or Fender amp?

"E.C Was Here" tone-Marshall or Fender amp?

I love the tone Clapton gets on this album, especially on Have you ever loved a woman?, but I ain't no expert on recognizing tones. Does anyone know what amp/rig he used for the show?

Thanks

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

Re: "E.C Was Here" tone-Marshall or Fender amp?

It's been a while since I heard that record, but I have a feeling it was his musicman amp, I'm sketchy on details, but I love that tone too, not really all that clean or dirty.

Forum Member

EC appeared in MusicMan advertisements at the time. I recall one showing him in front of a MusicMan Amp with a Gibson Explorer. Also read at the time, EC played Fender Showman Amps at the time. So could be one or the other?

He uses lots of different amps.
    He does usualy use a Strat.

I can get a very similar tone using my Kinman/Strat and my Mesa Boogie Lone Star so trying to guess what he used from what you hear is not easy.

Even the stereo you played it on and the room it was in can affect what you here.

:blbros
    I started set out in life to become a master of war chaos and destruction, Instead I became student of humor.

I saw EC ,just after EC was herealbum was released, in Stockholm, he was as stated above ,using
    Showmans. Ay least 2 if not 3 (come on this was a few years ago)
    Def Showmans amps

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

The music mans he was using were stacks, and did closely resemble showmans, I wasn't there!

Lee Dickson, if you read this, what's the answer? :rolleyes:

fezz parka

I know for sure that the Strat sounds on "EC was Here" is all George Terry. Clapner was most likely playing the Explorer through Showmans...

When EC recorded Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs at Criteria Studios in Miami in 1970, both he and the late Duane Allman discovered big tone made small. According to both Clapton and producer Tom Dowd, they messed with a variety of Marshalls and Fenders, but MOST of the recording was done with Fender Champs...turned all the way up! "Have You ever loved a woman" was first recorded by Clapton here at this time. Since then he has regularly used a Champ for recording, even during his tenure with Leo and Music Man. Just for interest sake, when he went live with Derek and the Dominoes, he used 2 Dual Showmans with 2 Showman 4X12" JBL's.

Chances are good you're listening to a Champ and a '59 Strat ( Blackie)

fezz parka

Sorry, TF, not on "EC Was Here"! It's a live record. No Champs, and no Strat, at least on EC's part. And I'm pretty sure he played Brownie on Layla. :)

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    I know for sure that the Strat sounds on "EC was Here" is all George Terry. .
    Whatever happened to George? He was pretty good, but fell of the face of the earth after he left the band.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I Agree Very Good
    George stole half of the show in Stockholm until Eric plugged his BLACK Strat in to his (yes it was a stack of Showmans) & OHHH MAMA!!
    This show was a warmup for a big tour in the US I think
    Never heard of George after that I'm sorry to say
    Any info Guys?

George came up with an album, i dont know how long ago but fairly recent. "Guitar Drive", i think it was called? From what i heard it was pretty good, quite similar in style to EC, but i havent heard it personally so i'm only going on what other people have said. Thanks for all the help, sounds like its either a showman or a musicman.

Sorry Fezz...you're right. I was thinking of the studio version of that song. And yes, Brownie was used for Layla. What I got to thinking of was the "EC was Here" era, and that was Blackie! What was Brownie anyway? A '56 body with a 59 neck, as I recall? It was a hybrid anyway.

Only time I heard Clapton live myself was 1993, and he was using a Pewter colored Strat with Lace Sensors ( EC Model) and a Soldano SLO -100.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefreak
    What was Brownie anyway? A '56 body with a 59 neck, as I recall? It was a hybrid anyway.
    Brownie was just like Blackie...A neck from this one, body from this one, you know a Parts-o-caster! But a couple of pretty damn good Parts-o-casters they were/are! :)

That they are/were !!...and it didn't seem to matter much what amp he chose, they both sounded great! Something tells me he could play a Sears electric and make it talk.

He does kinda have that way about him doesn't he.