Thread: Best way to clean a maple neck

Forum Member

Best way to clean a maple neck

Hi folks,not been here for a bit.Can anyone tell me the best way to clean a maple neck please?It's on a strat plus.I've been using gibsons for years with rosewood necks and using lemon oil for those but it's not good for maple necks.There's quite a lot of grime built up on the frets.Any help is much appreciated.Thanks.

Re: Best way to clean a maple neck

I usually use Windex. For the frets, I use this stuff: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...al_Polish.html
    s'all goof.

NoNeck60

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ever use any commercial grade/brand lemon oils, furniture polishes etc for a rosewood/maple board and Windex????? definately not.
    These oils/polishes ALL contain petroleum distilates....and Windex has alcohol, which will dry the heck out of your board, especially rosewood.

For rosewood board Strats, Teles, Les Pauls etc.. use a bore oil. I have researched this extensively. Please check out this website. It's very informative. www.beafifer.com . They have a bore oil that is great.

For maple necks/boards, I have found Virtuoso brand Cleaner and Virtuoso Polish to be the best. These come in seperate bottles. Many other players have experience with this product and swear by it, as I do.

The best way for to get rid of grimey build-up on a maple board is to clean it with Naptha (Ronson lighter fluid), using a 100% cotton swab or cotton ball, and then apply the cleaner then polish. This work for both Poly and Nitro boards.

Hope this helps

Hey, didn't y'all ever see My Big Fat Greek Wedding.......you can use Windex for everything.....

Seriously, I just use regular guitar polish and a swirl and haze remover (see Fender web site). Just like on the body to get rid of the grime and spilled bong water......
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions.I'm really reluctant to use anything on the maple neck as I've read quite a bit of conflicting advice.I wouldn't mind hearing how a few other members clean their maple necks though.I've got very sweaty hands and my neck gets very dirty quite quick.(My hands are always clean though)There's a lot of gunk right in at the edges of the frets.I've just been using a plectrum to get it out.D'ya think it'd be ok to use a toothbrush?

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Well, I've got a strat plus with a maple neck, had it from new (20+ years). I've always just used standard spray on furniture polish (Mr Sheen if you want the details ) on the body, neck, etc. whenever I change sttrings. Never had a problem, my guitar finish looks like new and the neck plays as good as ever.

Smells nice too

Now, my nitro, rosewood LP is a different matter: I use the gibby polish on the body, and give the fretboard a rub down with some kitchen roll and a bit of spit whenever I change strings. Got that advice from the Dan Erlwine book, works fine for me. Oh, and every six months or so I put a bit of raw linseed oil on the fretboard to keep it conditioned.

Smells nice too
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Forum Member

I use a pick to get out the gunk by the frets, and a toothpick for whatever that doesnt get out.

But Im sure a toothbrush would take half the time to use.

Forum Member

I don't get it. If we're talking about a maple neck with a poly finish, it is essentially bullet proof. Clean it with whatever the heck you want. Anything short of lacquer thinner isn't going to affect it. A nitro neck is another matter, but poly is impervious to all but the strongest of solvents.

Yeah, that's why I use Windex.
    s'all goof.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I use lighter fluid, seriously.

I use the Fender Megiuers (spelling might be off!) stuff, actually to be more precise I use the whole care pack they mak ethat comes with EVERYTHANG you might need, at the last shop I worked in I bought 4 or 5 complete sets to last me and I just broke open the second one last night while doing some cleanup work and restringing on my Tele. Stuff works great. ( I kinda like the smell of the mist and wipe a little too much.... )

HTH
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I just wash them with a dampened cloth with a drop of liquid soap. It doesn't stay wet long enough to affect the wood or get through the finish.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Lighter fluid is not bad, I use Naptha vmp with tissues. As with any solvent this should be done in a well ventilated area and the use of tissue's is key, as they must be disposed of after use. When the cleaning is done if rosewood we use Bore oil, if Maple we wipe the board with Brillianize.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lentz View Post
    Lighter fluid is not bad, I use Naptha vmp with tissues. As with any solvent this should be done in a well ventilated area and the use of tissue's is key, as they must be disposed of after use. When the cleaning is done if rosewood we use Bore oil, if Maple we wipe the board with Brillianize.
    So for rosewood, what are the virtues of Bore Oil as opposed to say lemon oil and the other natural oils sold specifically for guitar?
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Forum Member

Before the Bore oil I used Watco oil, one day I read the can and it explained how a dangerous fire could result from use of this product.
    I am not saying, use one oil over another, Bore oil simply meets my needs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lentz View Post
    Before the Bore oil I used Watco oil, one day I read the can and it explained how a dangerous fire could result from use of this product.
    I am not saying, use one oil over another, Bore oil simply meets my needs.
    When you say "Bore Oil", what comes to mind is the oil I use in the bore of my firearms. Gun oil. Is this what you mean, or is there another product?

Bore oil for musical instruments, like flutes, etc.

Not endorsing any but here's one of the products

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長

Umm... Fenders have lacquered maple necks. Wouldn't a wipe be enough? Why do you need a cleaning solution? you're cleaning the lacquer after all, no? Am I missing something?

Forum Member

Some people have a different chemistry then others, their maple neck gets real dirty. For these ,I recommended Naptha vmp as a cleaner and Brillianize after cleaning.

Forum Member

You should see my maple neck after even a gig or 2.I've got very clean hands but VERY sweaty hands when playing.I don't know where the dirt comes from but my strings and neck get very dirty.A lot of my guitar hardware gets rusty and my old guitar tech said I have very acidic sweat that rusts my strings and the guitar hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    Umm... Fenders have lacquered maple necks. Wouldn't a wipe be enough? Why do you need a cleaning solution? you're cleaning the lacquer after all, no? Am I missing something?
    Most Fenders have poly necks which are pretty hard to hurt.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

im still hoping for that worn in look on my maple fretboard...its starting in a couple of places.IMO theres nothing better than a nitro maple neck with wear marks on the fretboard...